You know where to buy a car battery but do you know where and how to recycle and dispose an old battery?
The best way to dispose your car battery is to give it for recycling. Most car workshops, scrap metal dealers and service stations accept used car batteries for recycling.
Why is it important to recycle car batteries?
- Each car battery contains around 2 to 3 litres of sulfuric acid, a good amount of lead and lead compounds and plastic. All these products are toxic and are considered to be hazardous waste.
- 90% of the car batteries whether a maintenance free battery or regular one, can be reconditioned or recycled into new products made from lead, sulphuric acid and polypropylene.
- The range of products in which recycled car batteries can be used include plant pots, laundry detergents and new batteries.
- Recycling these batteries consumes less energy and resources than refining primary ore. It also helps to remove lead from the environment.
Where should you go to recycle your car battery?
- Check if your car battery has recycling or disposal information printed on it. Many batteries have the information about who to call for recycling or where to take them.
- The majority of retail outlets that sell lead-acid car batteries also take used batteries for recycling. Exchange your old car battery at any such retailer’s shop.
- Metal recycling centers may actually pay you for your old car battery. Contact any such recycling center for more information on their services.
- Auto repair stores and garages also accept old batteries for recycling.
Safety tips for moving car batteries
Car batteries need to be handled with care. Some useful tips are:
- Disconnect the battery before inspecting it.
- Always disconnect the negative cable first.
- Wear protective clothing whenever inspecting a battery as battery acid can burn your clothing and skin.
- Before moving a battery, carry out a thorough inspection of its condition on all sides for any kind of marks, dents or leaks.
- If your battery has any severe dents or leaks, contact a professional mechanic or breakdown service for assistance.
- Cover the terminals of the battery during transportation so they cannot be shorted out.
- Keep the battery upright at all times.
Car batteries should always be handled with care whether new or old. Their damage and disposal needs to be taken care of properly, or else they can be harmful for us, our vehicle and our environment.
If you’re not sure where to buy a car battery that’s good quality at a reasonable price, The Battery Place in Nambour, Queensland is your one stop solution. They have all kinds of batteries for cars, marine, heavy vehicles, agricultural vehicles and maintenance free battery. They also deal in different types of battery accessories and battery services. Visit today or call for a pickup and drop service.